Home › Forums › Infant Reflux Support › HELP!!! › Zantac or prevacid?
- This topic has 4 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 19 years, 10 months ago by
Anonymous.
-
AuthorPosts
-
December 3, 2006 at 10:03 pm #19483
Anonymous
InactiveI finally got a percription for Lucy to have prevacid.
Now that we have it, I’m wondering if she should take it.
When she has a really bad spell, is usually if I haven’t watched my diet close enough. That happens about once a week maybe. The attacks are rough, but Henry was sooo much worse, that it doesn’t seem too bad to us. she is clearly in a lot of pain though. Arching, screaming, screeching etc.

She’s not on the full dose of Zantac that she could be. I could call her doc and maybe get him to up it. It would have to be the max dose for her weight. Or I could just start the prevacid. My concern with starting the prevacid is that she may never get off it. I’m thinking with the zantac, she’ll have a better chance at being able to stop taking it without the negative side effects.
If we start the prevacid, the attacks will stop??? With the zantac, they have never stopped, but they have gotten less. For the most part, she’s a happy spitter. Like I said, it’s about once week. Is this causing damage to her? That’s my main concern. If so, I wouldn’t hesitate to use the prevacid.
December 3, 2006 at 11:07 pm #19487Anonymous
InactiveAmy, I think it is really up to you- you know Lucy best. I was a little like that with Alana- the Zantac improved things but there was still a base level of irritability. The thing that swayed me the most was she is going to childcare 3days in Jan and I didn’t want her to be irritable from reflux in that enviro- whilst one on one I could manage, she may not get the same level of attention and nurturing in childcare. On Zoton she is so much better and I don’t have to worry about her being held, carried around and getting the attention she needed when she was irritable.
I wouldn’t be concerned about her getting of the prevacid though- there will come a time when the reflux goes and she won’t need it. Particularly if hers isn’t severe.There is no guarentee the attacks will stop, though they do for most once they are on the right dose. I still have to use the Zantac anyway- mainly because I can’t time the Zoton- no way will Alana wait 30 mins- so it really isn’t as effective as it could be.
Goodluck whatever decision you make.
December 4, 2006 at 9:48 am #19497Anonymous
InactiveMyles didn’t have any side effects when he came off of Prevacid. He just outgrew his reflux and no longer needed it. I don’t think you’ll have any trouble stopping the Prevacid when the time comes.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
December 4, 2006 at 10:09 am #19502Anonymous
InactiveIf you’re seeing discomfort and pain, it might not hurt to have her on Prevacid so as not to risk damage or pain. From what I’ve heard, I think the Prevacid actually has less side effects than the Zantac. I don’t think I’ve heard of anyone becoming dependent on it (I could be wrong). Maybe you could try it for a couple of weeks and see if it makes a difference??
Good luck with your decision. You know Lucy best, so I know whatever you decide will be best.
December 4, 2006 at 6:35 pm #19538Anonymous
InactiveTahnks girls!!
-
AuthorPosts
- The forum ‘HELP!!!’ is closed to new topics and replies.
