Home › Forums › Infant Reflux Information › Medicines › Zegerid Question
- This topic has 8 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 19 years, 9 months ago by
Anonymous.
-
AuthorPosts
-
January 15, 2007 at 10:47 am #22385
Anonymous
InactiveHow long does it take Zegerid to leave your body if you’re trying to wean? I am not actively trying to see if Sarah is ready to drop her meds. However, she only got a very small amount of her dose this morning (the rest was spit out on the floor!). Will missing this dose be any sort of “trial” to see if she’s ready to be off of them, or is there still enough built up in her system and it won’t tell us anything? Just curious!
Amy
January 15, 2007 at 11:04 am #22387Anonymous
Inactiveno, ive missed Traces third dose several times and nothing really happened.
January 15, 2007 at 11:38 am #22388Anonymous
InactiveSame here – we’ve forgotten a dose here or there and haven’t seen any problems. By the way, I emailed Dr. Phillips asking about how to wean Abby off Zegerid when I want to try it. This was his response
Usually going to 2 times per day then wait 1 week then a bedtime dose for 1 week then off
Dr PhillipsAs usual, very short response but at least I have a little direction on how to do it. As soon as Abby’s other top tooth pops through (she got her 1st top tooth last week), we may give it a try. SCARY, SCARY, SCARY but will have to try sometime

Another ADORABLE picture – I could just hug her

Robin
January 15, 2007 at 3:40 pm #22415Anonymous
InactiveI kind of figured that missing one dose wouldn’t really tell us much! Darn it! I am so scared to try to wean her off her meds. I’m not in a huge rush to do it, but it would be nice to be med free!
Thanks Robin for posting the response from Dr. Phillips. I thought about lowering her dose (still giving it 3 times a day) and just gradually lessen the amount over time, but dropping a dose alltogether would make sense too. I know how scary it is so GOOD LUCK with Abby!!! Don’t you hate when other factors (TEETHING! or sickness) interfere with our little “science experiments” with reflux!
Keep us posted!January 15, 2007 at 8:52 pm #22429Anonymous
InactiveHi Amy & Ms. Robin =)
As Dr. Phillips suggested, we lowered Evan to two doeses one week, one dose the second week and then finally NO doses! He actually has been so much better without meds. He sleeps better and has finally stopped spitting up!
Good Luck!
January 15, 2007 at 9:37 pm #22434Anonymous
InactiveJenay – What prompted you to try to wean Evan? Was it curiosity or did you notice signs that made you think he didn’t need the meds anymore?
January 16, 2007 at 2:05 pm #22472Anonymous
InactiveOK, sorry this is totally unrelated, but Jenay, that is such a cute picture of Evan ….and Amy, I love the new picture of Sarah.
OK, back on track…we haven’t weaned Brianna totally, but she is down from a high of 30mg prevacid to only about 12-10mg (it is hard to tell with a a solutab. We decided to try and reduce the meds because we noticed a lot of the things Brianna had been doing previously had stopped. We are hopeful to try and wean Brianna completely soon, but this was advice from my GI and I would pass it on. Wait for a period where there is no (obvious) teething, nor any other type of ailment going on. You don’t want to confuse something that might be from teething, or sickness with a decrease in meds. Also, my GI doc said you need to try the lower dose for at least a week before you could say yes or no to if it was a success or not. Ya’ll might not be like this, but when we first started weaning Brianna, she would have one bad night and I would say “that’s it, put her meds back up” but my hubby said try it for a few more days and she was fine…
January 16, 2007 at 2:10 pm #22474Anonymous
InactiveEmily:
Totally cute pic of Brianna!! She looks sooooo happy!!
I would agree – waiting until there is some sort of “stablility” (hard word to use with little ones) before trying weaning. Just when I get up the nerve to try it, her gum looks poofy, she gets a cold, or is just cranky and I chicken out. It is just so hard to figure out what to do, when to do it, and how to do it. Oh well, hopefully we will have a few calm weeks ahead – certainly didn’t want to try it during the holidays and now her birthday is coming up. I guess I’m not in a real hurry.
Robin
January 16, 2007 at 3:44 pm #22484Anonymous
InactiveJenay, that’s such great news about Evan! We have also cut Hailey’s dose down from 30mg given in 2 doses, to about 20mg given in the evening only. We didn’t do this as a weaning process per se, but more because she refused to take it in her bottle after a bout of illness and I had to syringe it. I couldn’t get the morning dose in at all, so gave up, and just tried for an evening dose. We haven’t noticed any difference with it either way- better or worse- and she’s been on it for a month so we’re just sticking with it.
I agree BTW, love the new pics!
-
AuthorPosts
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
