Home › Forums › Infant Reflux Support › HELP!!! › What next?
- This topic has 4 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 16 years, 9 months ago by
Anonymous.
-
AuthorPosts
-
January 6, 2010 at 8:08 am #65364
Anonymous
InactiveHI all!
First, I want to apologize for not coming on here much, and when I do I’m just looking for help rather than helping out much!! But, i have limited computer access during the day, and my phone really only works well with facebook, the internet is so small and cumbersome, I can’t do much on it…but Santa ordered me anew netbook & it’ll be here in a week or so, so i should be back in business soon! 🙂Anyway, the problem is, Harry still seems to be having some issues, and I don’t know what to do next! He’s on Neocate, 30mg Prevacid solutabs/day (15 in am & 15 in pm), and Carafate every 2 or so hours during the day. We are separating the Carafate from the prevacid by 2 hours & of course giving the prevacid on as empty a stomach as possible. We found out about 1 month ago that he’s also rice intollerant, so we stopped thickening with rice cereal 4 weeks ago today. We went to a new GI in mid-December who said he had, of course, the gerd/mspi, rice intollerance, but also esophagitis. He advised us to cut feeds down to 2 ounces every 2 hours. (Harry had been drinking about 4 ounces thickened every 2-3 hours) Cutting back that much was basically impossible, but i was able to cut back to ~3 ounces every 2ish hours. He improved after about 2 weeks, but about 1 week ago (3 weeks no-rice), he started getting cranky again in the afternoons, it seemed like he was hungry again, so I upped him to 3-4 ounces every 2ish hours. Now he’s still cranky, arching a bit again towards the afternoon, visibly bothered when he refluxes, and spitting up more again, oh and the stinky gas is back. He’s also gotten harder to get to sleep again, rock to sleep, put him down & he wakes up–it’s taking about 45-60 mins to get him down, and it’s harder during the day too, and his day sleeps is terrible at 20-30 mins a few times/day. This has been over the last week or so. A while back I tried cutting the prevacid into 3 doses, but he was miserable all day long, but that was when he was also on rice cereal which was causing more problems for him. I’m considering trying to go to 10mg 3x/day again for a try, but was hoping to get some input from you all first. I’m supposed to go back to work in a couple of weeks, but I’m also thinkinng of delaying that a few weeks to make sure he’s ok.We go back to the new GI next Friday, but I was going to call for input today anyway. I was thinking of pushing to switch to Prilosec or Zegerid, but need something that will be covered by insurance. I received a Buffer Babies kit last week but haven’t used it yet, so I’d be willing to do that if the Prilosec or Prevacid capsules would be covered…Any input would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks all!!January 6, 2010 at 10:44 am #65367Anonymous
Inactivemaybe the solutabs are bothering him?
maybe 30 mg is too much ? just a thought.. i know it sounds funny.. but it was too much for shane.. he got crampy. ..or maybe it was the solutab for him.. anyhow. just trying to take guesses because it SEEMS like u are doing everything right.ugh interested to see what others think…!January 6, 2010 at 1:05 pm #65369Anonymous
InactiveI agree with Lauren. I wonder if the solutabs are bothering him?? I’ve heard that before…If I’m remembering correctly the new GI was VERY sold with prevacid, right? Hmph…maybe he’d be willing to trial something else b/c I also agree that you ARE doing everything “right”. At least all of the old stand bys we usually fall back on. 🙁
It would be worth a shot to try the 10mg 3x a day now that rice has been gone for so long. How long will he need the carafate? Is that usually a temp or permanent fix? I’m not really familiar with it.The BB kit is only stable for two weeks after you mix up the big batch so I’d wait until you’re ready to give it a “full trial” before you mess around with mixing that. And if your ped is so gung-ho with prevacid then see if he’ll rx the capsules to use with BB…oh wait…which BB kit did you order? Hopefully the one for prevacid! 🙂If I think of anything else I’ll add more later…I should probably be “working” right now. 🙂January 6, 2010 at 2:06 pm #65372Anonymous
InactiveI think like the other ladies you are doing everything right. It could be the aspartame in the prevacid that is causing the problem so capsules with BB might be the best bet. The good thing there is you won’t have to time around feeds esp if you are going to have your sitter/daycare give one of the doses of meds. I hope he gets to feeling better soon.
January 6, 2010 at 3:19 pm #65375Anonymous
InactiveI agree with the concensus. Solutabs are fabulous for many, but a disaster for carter and dylan. both much fussier! they still needed meds, just different forms.
Also…he is approx 5.5 months old and the old “reflux peaks between months 4-6” held very true for both of my boys, too…. -
AuthorPosts
- The forum ‘HELP!!!’ is closed to new topics and replies.
