Home › Forums › Feeding Issues › General Feeding Issues › Update on Hunger Strike/New Ped
- This topic has 7 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 20 years, 5 months ago by
Anonymous.
-
AuthorPosts
-
May 17, 2006 at 9:14 am #8197
Anonymous
InactiveSo we saw the new Ped yesterday (my SIL’s Ped whom she really loves).
He really was very good. Quite traditional/old school yet really up on
new technologies/medicines, etc and has a gastro sub-specialty
(although still would refer out anything serious to a GI).He really thinks Marisa has my stomach virus – for a week now I’ve been
queasy and bloated/gassy and not had an appetite (no vomiting, no
fever) as her main symptoms are not eating, tired, glazed eyes, cranky,
etc. The virus went around my in-laws a few weeks ago – MIL had it for
2.5 weeks. He also thinks she may be working on eye teeth (!) as her
saw her repeating bite hard right there.He also thinks she is much too constipated and doesn’t like that she
mostly has hard pebble stools and only occasional mushy poos. He really
wants her fiber increased and more fruits and vegetables offered (we
are to add in third meal) and also wants her to have 4 ounces or so a
day of fiber juice (www.fiberjuice.com) which is juice with a lot of
extra fiber that he uses to treat constipation, IBD, etc.He’s holding off on her 9-month shots until she’s better – so maybe in
a few weeks we’ll go back for a follow-up visit and discuss more and
get that done then. He agreed that it doesn’t seem to be a reflux issue
right now – that it’s a virus plus teething. He’s going to keep her
Pepcid where it is and not increase it as her weight goes up unless the
reflux worsens and hopefully wean her off of it around a year or so. He
may also try a dairy formula (gradual transition) once the constipation
is better resolved.For now he wants her to get as much rest and fluids as she can until
this passes – and it seems it is starting to. She was much more herself
last night – playing for the first time in days, laughing and babbling.
Only a few bites of solids yesterday but 16.5 ounces of her bottle so
that was quite good. Today she seems a little better still so I’m
hoping we’re on the mend.May 17, 2006 at 10:40 am #8211Anonymous
InactiveI am sorry poor Marisa has a stomach virus and is teething at the same time! That is great that you found a new and better ped though. I hope she feels better soon!
May 17, 2006 at 1:02 pm #8218Anonymous
InactiveGlad to hear it went well and Marisa’s feeling a little better. Do you think you’ll continue with him?
Tracy (Ian’s Mom 9-26-05) Prevacid and Elecare
May 17, 2006 at 2:02 pm #8219Anonymous
InactiveYea – I think we are going to continue with him. She’s still refusing
basically all solids but at least she’s drinking more… She’s way
constipated too but I’m not surprised with this bug and how little
she’s eaten…May 17, 2006 at 3:08 pm #8225Anonymous
InactiveGlad to hear you like him. Hopefully Marisa can get over this bug soon, and when the teeth pop out that should help a bit as well.
May 18, 2006 at 2:52 pm #8276Anonymous
Inactiveknb18 wrote: S
He’s holding off on her 9-month shots until she’s better – so maybe in a few weeks we’ll go back for a follow-up visit and discuss more and get that done then. He agreed that it doesn’t seem to be a reflux issue right now – that it’s a virus plus teething. He’s going to keep her Pepcid where it is and not increase it as her weight goes up unless the reflux worsens and hopefully wean her off of it around a year or so. He may also try a dairy formula (gradual transition) once the constipation is better resolved.Karen, just wanted to ask you why the doc wants to keep her on medication around a year when reflux does not seem to bother her? Just asking this as my dd’s GI hinted about possible weaning her off medication and has informed her Ped about it. I wanted to know the criteria for weaning….
How long is it advisable to wait before dairy trial? I guess I have to do all these without GI’s help as we have been discharged too…
May 18, 2006 at 3:14 pm #8279Anonymous
InactiveMy Ped doesn’t see the point in taking her right off the Med right now.
She’s still young and still wet burping quite a bit and with this
current virus and teething he saw no rush to come off a medicine he
sees as very safe. His method of weaning for now is to just not
increase her doseage as her weight goes up and if that works eventually
bring the dosage down.Your Ped should be able to advise you on dairy trial. Many wait until a year and then do either hidden dairy.
You’ve been discharged? Does that mean Anvita is doing better?
May 18, 2006 at 4:32 pm #8287Anonymous
InactiveKaren,
Anvita is doing much better reflux-wise. She is not doing great on solids though. I found many things bothered her. She too went through a similar phase like Marisa refusing solids…
Her GI doc wanted me to put her exclusively on Alimentum (I give her expressed milk during day and Alimentum once in night). He then discharged us saying that he does not want to change her course of treatment and she should be put only on Alimentum. He then informed the Ped to think about right time to wean her off from the medications.
-
AuthorPosts
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
