Total Elimination Diet (TED)
The Dr. Sears Total Elimination Diet is a way to get at what, if anything, you are eating is affecting your baby’s reflux, bowel movements, gas and skin. It is ONLY two weeks and the more you concentrate on what you CAN eat, the better you’ll be!
Sometimes babies react to a protein in their mother’s breast milk, not the milk itself! The most common proteins are cow’s milk protein, this link will take you to a page with a list of common names on labels, (cow’s milk protein intolerance = CMPI, which is a more “European” term and cow’s milk protein allergy = CMPA, also a more “European”) and soy protein (milk soy protein intolerance = MSPI). There are, however, many more foods (proteins) that have been reported by mothers to affect their babies. Keeping a food log/journal is a great idea! I followed the TED out of sheer desperation; I had to do something as I researched and got the meds right. I’m glad I did it, as I learned my baby reacted when I ate tomato products, citrus, eggplant and tuna (I tried canned and thought perhaps it was something in the canned tuna and so then I tried plain pan-seared at home and there was a reaction with this, too).
Difference between Allergy & Intolerance:
Do I really HAVE to do the TED?
No, of course not! How are your baby’s poops? Normal? They are yellow/mustard -seedy poops? Then sit back and decide later! Are they frequent, watery and green? Green & foamy, like shaving cream? Then look into Overactive Let Down also known as hyerplactation and fore/hind milk imbalance. Do they look like jelly? Cottage Cheese? Stringy, like the inside of a banana peel? Slick? Slimy? Like a mucous filled tissue? Like egg whites? They do? Well, it’s up to you, of course, but you might want to consider some sort of alteration to your diet….You can cut out proteins, one by one, starting with milk and/or soy, or, you can just go for it and do the TED.
The basic TED: you eat organic, free-range ground turkey and lamb, white potatoes, yellow squash, rice and organic olive oil. You do this for two weeks, until you get a “base-line” with poops. Your goal is to have “normal” breastfed baby poop that is yellow/mustardy, ‘seedy’ poop. Concentrate on what you can eat, not what you’re missing! As soon as poops get to “base-line” you can start adding foods in, one at a time!
The Following Links will help you learn about what the TED is, exactly, and How to go about Doing This on your Own!
- (Dr. Sears) Total Elimination Diet (TED)
- Information about starting the TED
- TED Recipes on the Forum (scroll past the yellow!)
- Breastfeeding Resource Page
- A Mother’s Success Story & How She Did It (post #62883) (Etx) MAKE SURE YOU GO TO POST #62883 if the link doesn’t go there automatically!
- “Testimonial” That TED Worked for this Baby/Mom
- Serious Doubts: I didn’t think I could do the TED. My notes of Encouragement!
- A Mom’s Journey with TED
- Determined Mother Sticks to Elimination Diet!
- TED Journey by Christine
- My TED Story: How We Beat Acid Reflux!
- Breastfeeding TED: Collection of Mamas’ Blurbs
- Breastfeeding TED: Collection of Mamas’ Blurbs, page 2
- Get off the Fence! Try the TED!
- TED Take 2! What if the TED isn’t working? You must switch out foods.. How?
- Mama’s Gut Health and also Forceful Let Down
- Adding Foods Back In, After Eliminating From Diet – Click and Scroll to Second Orange Box
- TED, MSPI, Adenoids oh My!
- Breastfeeding Resource Page
- Milk Names
- Food Allergy Lists: Classification of Foods
- #guthealing #healthegut