Home › Forums › Infant Reflux Support › HELP!!! › Do I listen to the dr or…..
- This topic has 6 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 19 years, 7 months ago by
hellbennt.
-
AuthorPosts
-
February 20, 2007 at 6:33 pm #25348
Anonymous
InactiveWe had our follow up with the GI specialist a week ago and I asked him when to start trying to wean Ariella from Prevacid. He told me that he wouldn’t even think about it until she was one. I personally wanted to do it much earlier. Is it something I should do on my own or should I not attempt it without the dr’s ok? I was thinking to start doing it when she turns 6 mos. What do you all think?
February 20, 2007 at 6:35 pm #25349Anonymous
Inactivei think depending on her severity of reflux, that might be a little early… Months 4 – 7 for us were really bad with both boys with teething, etc….
Personally, I would try to compromise with the doctor and maybe give it a shot at 9 months? I still think 6 months is early…
February 20, 2007 at 6:37 pm #25350Anonymous
Inactive6 months? that is really early.
our GI said dont attempt to wean before a year also,. and i am not even going to attempt to wean until 15 months. my son is 9 months and no where near outgrowing his reflux.
these guys are GI specialits…and though they may not always be up to date with infant PPI dosing, they do know what they are talking about when it comes to most of the other stuff. our ped said my son would be reflux free at 6 months. when i told our GI that she laughed. my son is 9 months and like i said no where near being reflux free.February 20, 2007 at 7:51 pm #25352Anonymous
InactiveMonths 4 – 7 were particularily rough for us too. Both of mine outgrew their reflux at 9 months, but I waited another month to wean Myles. (Ellie was never properly medicated). I do think 6 months would be too early for most babies.
February 20, 2007 at 11:11 pm #25374Anonymous
InactiveJust see how it goes, if you feel she is ready give it a shot. We did not wean Alexis until she was 15 months and then we had to put her back on medications when she was 18 months. She is off now, but I think it differs with every child, just see how things go. If you notice that the symptoms are improved try weaning, but I really don’t think there is a month marker to try and wean. We weaned Alexis since I kept on forgetting her evening dose and she seemed to be fine without it so we started to take away her morning dose. With Taylor, she’s not quite ready since teething does make reflux worse due to the extra salvia so no weaning yet. Trust yourself, do it whenever you think she is ready, since you can always put her back on if needed.
February 21, 2007 at 4:33 am #25379Anonymous
InactiveGoodluck with whatever you decide to do Marianna…I am sure that little Ariella will let you know (in some way) if you stop the meds and she still needs them. I am going to try around 9 months which seems to be the consensus of all the Drs I have seen. I’m happy to give it a go then, but if she still have probs to put her back on the meds for awhile. You never can tell with these little ones
February 21, 2007 at 9:02 am #25394hellbennt
Keymasterwe tried at 9months & then were able to do it at 12 months (well, still needed some zantac on an ‘as needed’ basis & some tums…
) -
AuthorPosts
- The forum ‘HELP!!!’ is closed to new topics and replies.
