Home › Forums › Infant Reflux Support › HELP!!! › how long to wait for GI appt?
- This topic has 8 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 19 years, 3 months ago by
Anonymous.
-
AuthorPosts
-
June 24, 2007 at 1:31 am #37756
Anonymous
Inactivewe’ve been trying to get Joe in w/the MARCI-kids team. they’ve had his file for almost 2 weeks and still no news. i call every other day asking for infor and i keep getting the same answer of “we’re still reviewing his file”. well his file isn’t that big. he’s only had 2 test done at his old GI so it’s not like there’s a ton of stuff to go through. we’re only 2.5 hours away from the hospital. if Joe keeps losing weight, the ped is going to hospitalize him. should we just take him to the ER at Columbia? is there normally this long of a wait? i’m so flustered and exhausted by this whole thing. my baby needs help and i just feel like no one cares
June 24, 2007 at 7:39 am #37760hellbennt
KeymasterFAX them & EMAIL THEM
and say: THANK YOU!!! WHEN WILL WE SEE YOU? SHOULD WE JUST GO TO THE ER IN COLUMBIA??? It’s been 2 weeks
June 24, 2007 at 7:43 am #37761Anonymous
InactiveAnne,
Gosh, what a nightmare. I’m so so so sorry about this slow process which I’m sure is so infuriating and leaves you feeling so helpless
When my daughter was at her worst before meds, our first ped made th refferral for a ped G.I and it was two months away. Now granted my daughter wasn’t losing weight like Joe, but I was so angry thinking ” what the he** am I supposed to do for the next two months with my sick baby?!!!!”
My experience with specialists is that there always seems to be a long rediculous wait. I hope Joe gets in soon. I know that doesn’t help much. I’m sorry I don’t remember your story but is he on any meds now?June 24, 2007 at 10:01 am #37771Anonymous
InactiveUggg…how horrible.
maybe they (marci-kids) don’t realize how serious Joe’s situation is. I’d email or FAX them again and tell them he’s losing weight and may be hospitalized. If they don’t get you in soon and Joe does need to be hospitalized before he is seen by marci-kids I’d probably take him straight to the U of M hospital that marci-kids in affiliated with instead of Columbia and then when you get there tell them marci-kids has his file and request that they call them so one of the docs can come down and see Joe. Maybe if he’s in the ER or admitted to one of their hospitals they will be able to put him at the top of the list so to speak.
http://www.marci-kids.com/info.html This page from marci-kids shows which hospitals they serve. It menitons Columbia…could that be the hospital you are close to?
Hugs and prayers for you and Joe.
June 24, 2007 at 11:48 am #37783Anonymous
InactiveI would do what everyone has suggested. We have been hospitalized twice because of reflux and weight loss. It is no fun and neither time were they able to resolve Maggie’s issues. I brought our pediatrician all of our research from Marci~kids and she changed Maggie’s prescription too zegerid but before Maggie could even take one dose she was rehospitalized and the hospital could not get the zegerid in. I emailed Dr. Phillip and he emailed us right back with what dosage etc that Maggie should be on. I finally feel like things are going to look up for us. So hang in there and keeping on calling, emailing, faxing etc.
June 24, 2007 at 8:27 pm #37810Anonymous
InactiveI always have our regular ped. Dr. call to schedule appts. w/ any specialist. Somehow we usually get in within a week or two. Maybe this is a possibility for you? Good luck, it gets better!
June 25, 2007 at 12:50 am #37822Anonymous
Inactiveour regular ped supposedly called Friday. U of M is the hospital in Columbia, as far as i know anyway. and we’re trying to get in with a doc recommended by Dr. Phillips. we’re calling again on Monday. i’m going to try and call MARCI to see if they can call the doc.
June 25, 2007 at 8:42 am #37833Anonymous
InactiveI’m really sorry that you’re having to wait so long. I really know how you feel- it took us almost 5 months from the time the referral was made until we finally got the appointment at the ped GI at the children’s hospital! Hailey’s feeding aversion was impossible at that point, and I didn’t know how we’d hang in there. I also told them that I would need to go to the ER, and they said that if things were that bad, then we should go. I agree with the suggestions the others have given you. I’d also call and ask to be put on the cancellation list. Then I’d continue to call every other day like you are already, and ask about the status of her file and if there are any cancellations. The other thing I’d do is talk to your referring physician- whether it’s your original GI or pediatrician- and ask them if they can make a doctor to doctor request to have his file pushed.
Good luck. The wait times for these appointments are really awful. Keep us posted.
June 25, 2007 at 9:45 am #37836Anonymous
InactiveWe had this same situation with Bryce. Our GI appointment was weeks away and he was losing weight from vomiting so much. We were on the cancellation list, but there were no cancellations. What we finally ended up doing was calling our regular doctor and asking her to call the GI and get us in sooner. She did, and they moved us to the TOP of the list. We were in withing 3 days. Maybe your doctor could give them a call?
-
AuthorPosts
- The forum ‘HELP!!!’ is closed to new topics and replies.
