Home › Forums › Infant Reflux Support › HELP!!! › Hospital again-vomiting blood
- This topic has 34 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 20 years, 7 months ago by
Anonymous.
-
AuthorPosts
-
March 2, 2006 at 9:18 am #2812
Anonymous
InactiveWent into Ian’s room last night at midnight and saw he was laying in a HUGE pool of vomit and blood (some chunks and streaks). Never heard him on the monitor and it scared the heck out of us. GI on call said go to the hospital immediately and we were there until 4:30am. They are deciding if we’ll keep the Tuesday proceedures or move them up. He’s also back to not eating but spirits are high. Stops and grunts and pushes bearing down again.
Any ideas?? We’re not ruling out reflux but this seems allergy related. He’s on elecare but had a two day trial on alimentum a week ago and a little brown sugar for one day a few days ago?
THANK YOU!
Tracy (Ian’s Mom 9-26-05) Elecare and prevacid
March 2, 2006 at 9:22 am #2814Anonymous
InactiveOh Tracy – I’m so sorry to hear this. Just don’t know what it could be
– I would think the Alimentum should be out of his system by now and
don’t understand how a tiny bit of brown sugar coudl do this.I really hope they move up the procedures – maybe Dr. Moon can do them tomorrow?
Emailed you too. Hang in there – let me know if I can do anything. Keep us posted.
Hugs to you guys and try to get a bit of rest today if Ian is feeling OK.
March 2, 2006 at 9:25 am #2816Anonymous
InactiveOMG, Tracy! I can imagine how scared you guys were. I’m so sorry to hear that Ian is still going through this. I really hope that they can push up the tests so that you don’t have to wait. This is awful! HUGS to you! Please keep us posted.
March 2, 2006 at 9:29 am #2817Anonymous
InactiveDid you consider that the “blood” in the vomit could be Prevacid? I know when Hailey used to vomit it would contain a purply-red color and I finally figured out that it was from the Prevacid.
I’m sure it’s not something as simple as that but I wanted to throw it out there just in case. I hope you guys get something figured out soon.
March 2, 2006 at 9:40 am #2818Anonymous
InactiveThanks Stacey-I do appreciate any insights, believe me. But no, it’s not prevacid, definitely blood and a lot of it unfortunately.
They’re saying maybe wait till Tuesday but what could it be?? I don’t want to be dramatic but will it wait that long?
Tracy
March 2, 2006 at 9:45 am #2819Anonymous
InactiveOh Tracy
I am so sorry to hear this! I have no idea what it could be, really but i am praying that it is nothing important and something that has an easy cure!
March 2, 2006 at 11:35 am #2826Anonymous
InactiveThe other thing that comes to mind is an ulcer. What did the GI say? Surely they had to offer something?
March 2, 2006 at 11:48 am #2828Anonymous
InactiveTracy – hoping the fact that I haven’t heard from you means that the GI
doc on call is doing something or that they reached Dr. Moon for you.
Fingers crossed that all is well.March 2, 2006 at 12:10 pm #2831Anonymous
InactiveSorry you are going through this! We will be hoping for some quick answers and easy solutions for you!!!!!!!!
March 2, 2006 at 12:38 pm #2838Anonymous
InactiveNever thought of an ulcer. Did ask them at the hospital about possible infection but they said kids with infections don’t look like him. He now has a low grade fever again-100.
You would think they would have ideas, wouldn’t you?? They just keep saying this is why we’re going to test him. My normal GI – whose awesome- is not avail(family emergency) but they have me going in tomorrow first thing and she’ll decide if we should pursue this earlier then next Tuesday. They did give me warning signs to look out for.
He’s not eating at all though-am now syringing (no choice). Moaning again too but otherwise can still get smiles. This is infuriating!
Thanks Stacey, though, I will look into ulcer.
Tracy
March 2, 2006 at 12:43 pm #2841Anonymous
InactiveWell I’m glad you’re at least seeing Dr. Moon tomorrow morning and that
is a good thought Stacey had to check into ulcer. What warning signs
did they give you?Poor little guy. Marisa is sending him hugs and kisses.
March 2, 2006 at 4:46 pm #2884Anonymous
InactiveGoing back to hospital. Waiting for dh to pick us up but Ian spit up blood again. I was syringing pedialyte and he kept spitting it out but got a couple of swallows in, then picked him up and out it came – blood spit up. They BETTER not send us away again!
Wish us luck. He’s really tired right now-probably from both lack of sleep and food.
Tracy
March 2, 2006 at 4:50 pm #2886Anonymous
InactiveOh no…. Will be wishing you luck and thinking of you. Don’t let them send you home this time and keep us posted.
March 2, 2006 at 4:54 pm #2888Anonymous
InactiveWhat is his Prevacid dose and what form of Prevacid are you using? If the dose isn’t high enough or not administered in an effective form, then the acid can still be produced and the acid can cause ulceration. Until you can get him on the right dose, you might look into using sulcrafate (Carafate) it bonds to ulcerated areas in the stomach and esophagus and protects them from the acid, which allows them to heal. The trick is, it requires the presence of acid to become activated, and so if it works, then it means that the Prevacid is not stopping the acid from being produced. Once you have the right dose/form of PPI, then something like Carafate should not be necessary. If you do use Carafate, you shouldn’t do so within a few hours of any other meds, as it can lower absorbtion.
March 2, 2006 at 5:28 pm #2892Anonymous
InactiveOh no tracy! Thinking of you guys…
-
AuthorPosts
- The forum ‘HELP!!!’ is closed to new topics and replies.
