Home › Forums › Just For Fun › Stuff I Just Want to Talk About › How late can I push the MMR vaccine?
- This topic has 18 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 20 years, 5 months ago by
Anonymous.
-
AuthorPosts
-
April 19, 2006 at 3:49 pm #6394
Anonymous
InactiveBrian will have his 15 month check up on 4/24, and he suppose to have MMR vaccination, but I really want to push until later, because he ate so bad after vaccination, and it took 1 1/2 month for him to recover. So I would like to know how late can I push the MMR vaccine? I do not know whether the ped will let me do that because the mumps outbreak right now, but I will try.
April 19, 2006 at 4:47 pm #6400Anonymous
InactiveI waited until my first was 18 months and my doctor didn’t seem to have a problem with that.
If there’s a mumps outbreak in your area, it might not be a good idea to wait; unless you plan on never leaving the house!
April 19, 2006 at 4:47 pm #6401Anonymous
InactiveMy 2.5 year old still has not had her MMR. Her ped wanted to wait because of her seizures, and then because of Hailey’s issues- he felt that we wouldn’t be able to handle Sarah having a reaction (which can include seizures) on top of Hailey’s issues. I was going to try to take her this week.
April 19, 2006 at 6:26 pm #6406Anonymous
InactiveI am very pro vaccine. I would not delay it at all. There is mumps in this country and it is something that you really do not want your child to have, it would probably be much worse that the reaction that your child could have from the vaccine. I know that my opinion may not be well recieved from everyone on this board, but this is something that i feel very strongly about.
April 19, 2006 at 7:15 pm #6410Anonymous
InactiveI agree, Janice. However, our circumstance was different in that Sarah was having uncontrolled seizures over the last year. We pray that she will be fine with the vaccine.
April 19, 2006 at 7:36 pm #6412Anonymous
InactiveI would just get the vaccines over with. It doesn’t seem like there is ever a “good” time.
April 19, 2006 at 9:05 pm #6425Anonymous
InactiveI agree, unless there is a specific reason (like the seizures that Lori’s daughter was having) I would go ahead and get it done. As Janice said, dealing with the mumps would be much worse than the effects of the vaccine itself.
April 19, 2006 at 10:21 pm #6437Anonymous
InactiveLori~
I was not directing that at you
, hope that you did not take offense.April 20, 2006 at 7:56 am #6445Anonymous
InactiveNo offense take Janice.
Just wanted to clear things up. We’re going to try and give it to her today, so hopefully everything will be all right. I hate watching her have seizures.April 20, 2006 at 11:03 am #6458Anonymous
InactiveSharon – I guess I have a totally different opinion than most people on this issue. Do what you feel most comfortable with. Weigh the pros and cons of waiting or not waiting to give the MMR ( or any other vaccine). It is YOUR RIGHT as a parent to give, not give, or postpone vaccinations. It is NOT up to your doctor. Noah will not be getting the MMR until he is older. lisaann2006-4-20 11:5:20
April 20, 2006 at 12:16 pm #6468Anonymous
InactiveThank you everyone for your opinion. Does MMR vaccine cause more side effect than other vaccine? Brian is allergic to egg white, so I wonder if it is safe to receive the MMR vaccine.
Sharon Liu2006-4-20 12:17:8
April 20, 2006 at 2:42 pm #6474Anonymous
Inactiveahh this is where i can help sharon. i have stopped from answering your original post but i wanted to add that yes MMR does contain egg. my andy is allergic to egg so we have not administered the MMR.
he will be undergoing an egg challenge in the hospital sometime this ummer to see if he has outgrown it and if he has then the allergy clinic will administer the vaccine when i am ready.
i am a delayed vaxer. i was able to delay dd’s until 3 yrs but would have gladly gone longer. the reason i had to get it was to put her in day care so that i could take andy to the multitude of GI/ped/chiro appts during his first year otherwise i would have waited until she was ready for preschool.
so no daycare or big group setting for andy until he has outgrown the allergy and can take the vaccine. although if he remains allergic then he definitely won’t be going to preschool at all when he turns 4.
April 20, 2006 at 4:10 pm #6478Anonymous
InactiveThe MMR does have higher risk of high fever and seizures from what our ped told us (I’m not trying to scare you).
Lisa, I don’t want to open up a can of worms, but I was wondering why you chose to delay the vaccine. If you don’t mind sharing, but don’t want to do so in a public forum, would you consider e-mailing me? Hope Noah is doing well.
April 20, 2006 at 5:03 pm #6483Anonymous
InactiveLori – I am a delayed vaxer. I have only recently changed my opinions on vaccines. Both of my older boys are completely vaxed and were always right on schedule. Noah was on schedule with his 2 month shots. Shortly after he had what they called a severe local reaction. He had a hot, red area that spread to about 2 inches in diameter. It lasted for over a month before it started to go away. I was told that the chance continues to increase for possible adverse effects the more times the he would have been exposed. After that, I started to read about vaccinations. After reasearching, I decided that I wanted to wait until Noah was older before I continued with anymore of his vaccines. He has only had his 2 month and a second dose of Prevnar and Hib. I am going to wait until he is closer to school age before I continue with anymore. I just dont feel comfortable with the risks that are associated with some of the vaccines (like Dtap especially). From what I researched, there are thousands upon thousands of adverse reactions to vaxes that go unreported. Not to mention the possible link between autism and vaxes., asthma and vaxes and so on. I guess I made my final decision (it has been a hard decision) when my Ped actually told me that infants dont really need the Hep B shot UNLESS their mother is positive for Hep B. When I asked her why its given, she told me “its a catch all”. In other words, grab them while they are young because the chance of getting them vaxed when they are older (teens) is not as likely. And its when they are teens/adults that they are more likely to engage in behaviors that put them at a higher risk for Hep B.
It has been a really hard decision to delay vaccinating. I pray that I havent made a mistake. But right now, I honestly dont feel comfortable with continuing.
This is a site that I found a lot of great info. http://www.909shot.com/
lisaann2006-4-20 17:8:12
April 20, 2006 at 5:36 pm #6486Anonymous
InactiveI really do not want to get into a large debate here, but I will say my peace. I feel if you are only going to give your child one vaccine, the vaccine that needs to be given most is the DtaP. There are children in THIS country, in all states that die daily from pertussis (whooping cough) It is the only vaccine preventable illness in this country that is on the rise. I personally would feel horrible if my child died from an ilness that COULD and Should have been prevented. THe children that are at the most risk for dying from the illness are under age one.
This is only my opinion, but I could not stay quiet on this one.
-
AuthorPosts
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
