Home › Forums › Infant Reflux Support › HELP!!! › Reglan??
- This topic has 3 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 15 years, 11 months ago by
Anonymous.
-
AuthorPosts
-
November 18, 2010 at 7:19 pm #67293
Anonymous
InactiveI’m not sure why my search isn’t turning up more posts about Reglan. All I’ve ever read about it says it’s not a good medicine. BUT, we *just* started seeing a pediatric GI last week, and he suggested 3 things: (1) switch from Zantac to Previcid (2) get an upper GI done to rule out structural complications and (3) depending on the results of upper GI, bethanechol or Reglan.
Here’s the rub: we are also currently treating a facial hemangioma, for which she has to take a beta blocker (blood pressure reducer), Propranolol. The GI said that bethanechol cannot be taken while on Propranolol, so our only option was to try Reglan if we went that route.
We started the Previcid after that appointment, one week ago. Nothing has changed. We had the upper GI today which showed slight delay in emptying and a hiatal hernia which is causing both the weak LES and her stomach is coming up through the opening slightly when she eats.
The GI then saw us immediately after. He was not pushy, but he did say that although there is a lot said about Reglan, he feels confident and has no reservations about prescribing it. He told me of the possible side effects (which he said were irritability, jitters, etc.) He also gave us samples of an amino acid formula but that was on my prompting–he said not to try that until we see how the Reglan/Previcid combination works.
Well, I’ve given her two doses of the Reglan now, and she’s seriously puked more in the past 7 hours than she has in the past 7 days. We are so despondent!!! I am ready to immediately stop the Reglan!
Should I wait longer?? What is everyone’s beef with Reglan, and how can I not have faith in the best pediatric GI in town???
November 18, 2010 at 9:21 pm #67294Anonymous
InactiveHI and Welcome. I just weaned my dd off propranolol for an eyelid hemangioma! And DS had horrible reflux when he was a baby. I would STOP the reglan… most reflux babies really don’t need it the docs just seem to give it out to lessen the spitting up. If you really feel like you need something to help empty the stomach you could always ask for erthromycin ( I spelled that wrong)! My DH is a pharmacist and he would NOT let me try our DS on reglan and in the hospital where we both work we only use reglan when e-mycin isn’t doing the trick. Are you giving the prevacid right? on an empty stomach followed by a meal 30-60 min later? What form are you on? Check out lauras groupie intro as well as the prevacid 101 section and hopefully that will give you some good answers. The prevacid can take up to 2wks to start working.. and make sure you are on a good/proper dose check out marci-kids.com they have a good dosing calculator on the site to help.
November 18, 2010 at 9:39 pm #67296Anonymous
InactiveThank you. . . we *are* stopping it immediately–she’s literally been puking all day. It has made her worse. I know some medications take awhile to work or to get used to, but my gut tells me it’s not good.
I think we will just grin and bear it–I don’t like using antibiotics unnecessarily, so we probably wouldn’t use that. She has gotten *marginally* better as she’s grown, but it’s still hell 🙂 Maybe she’ll continue on the upwards trend.
It’s amazing how many people have had, have had a child who had, or know someone who has had a hemangioma! My DD’s is a nasal tip, and I hate it–it’s just all too much right now. How long were you on P and wen did you wean?? Did you experience any rebound?
November 18, 2010 at 10:12 pm #67297Anonymous
InactiveWe started P when dd was 3 months old (her vision was severely obstructed b/c of it or we would have just let it do its thing!) We started weaning at 9 months only because she started fighting taking the med so badly. I did a really slow wean on her (dropped a dose for 2wks, then dropped another dose etc). She hasn’t had any in a week now and we haven’t seen any rebound! We go back to her specialist on Dec1st and he will tell me if her vision is being affected and if it is we will probably restart but hopefully she will be fine!
-
AuthorPosts
- The forum ‘HELP!!!’ is closed to new topics and replies.
