Home › Forums › Just For Fun › Stuff I Just Want to Talk About › UGH another failed trial!
- This topic has 11 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 19 years, 4 months ago by
Anonymous.
-
AuthorPosts
-
June 29, 2007 at 2:35 am #38247
Anonymous
InactiveAbout two weeks ago I took away Kayleigh’s morning dose of Zegerid. All was well I was thinking, we had a few episodes that needed some Tums but nothing real bad. Then 3 days ago she began to run a fever again low grade no other symptoms, night wakings and then the she began to drop her food intake until about 20-30 min after her evening dose of meds. She could go all day without eating then after she takes her meds she wants to eat 2 full meals. So we started back on her meds again this morning and sure enough she ate like normal all day long. Still has that low grade fever but I have a feeling that will soon go away once her poor throat heals again. GRRRR I get so frustrated with this she is 3 1/2 years old! I’m really feeling like it’s time to stop med free trials and just live with it.
I normally handle these things much better but I’m not doing well with this one. I realise that we are most likely in that 3% of kiddos that won’t out grow reflux and it stinks! I begin to second guess every decision I ever made when she was younger. Sorry for the ramble but I just needed to let it out. Maybe after letting it out I can better deal with it. June 29, 2007 at 9:20 am #38255Anonymous
InactiveI am so sorry to hear that the trial didn’t work. I don’t know what all you have tried with meds but have you tried cutting the dose in 1/2 and then stopping to do a slower wean? I am definately no expert with this stuff totally learning myself, but it sounds like a good option to me, that is unless you have already tried that.
June 29, 2007 at 9:59 am #38264Anonymous
InactiveOh, I’m sorry. I can’t imagine dealing with reflux for over three years. You have every reason to be discouraged and disgusted with it by now.
Maybe a slower wean would work better. I’ve heard that weaning too fast can cause rebound acid production. Maybe email Dr. Phillips and ask him how he would wean her from the Zegerid.
June 29, 2007 at 2:39 pm #38285Anonymous
InactiveI know exactly how you feel. I’ve decided to leave well enough alone and stop messing with her meds. My dad, brother and I all have reflux so I don’t know why I’m surprised that she’s in that 3%. It’s frustrating, but I’m now trying to focus on the fact that with meds she acts like a totally normal, perfectly happy 3 year old little girl.
June 29, 2007 at 5:08 pm #38298Anonymous
InactiveI’m so sorry to hear that her trial didn’t work. That must be so disappointing. I hope she’ll eventually be reflux-free.
June 30, 2007 at 2:14 pm #38320Anonymous
InactiveThanks everybody. Sometimes I just need to vent to those who understand.
I have been able to take her afternoon dose away and tried to lower her morning dose before removing it fully but it still didn’t work. She’s such a trooper about taking it I shouldn’t mess with whats working.We had to make another trip to the DR’s yesterday and after doing a UA and blood test they have no reason for her fever so her ped says “yep it’s the reflux” like DUH I couldn’t have guessed that one. They were thinking of sending her for an xray because she sounded wheezy and she’s had pnuemonia one other time with no congestion so he thought maybe, then I told him about our new outside climbing structure and we decided it could be increased allergies from extra outside time. So we are adding nebulizer treatments again for a week or so.Seems like I add more medicines when I try and take one away
I think I’ve learned my lesson this time. LOLJuly 1, 2007 at 1:51 pm #38348Anonymous
InactiveI am sorry! Seth is 2.5 yo and still refluxes on meds so I know we are far away from weaning too. I am really starting to believe we may be in that 3% also. I try not to let it get me down but it is worrisome.
Maybe you can try again in a few months. BTW, cute picture of Kayleigh!July 1, 2007 at 2:18 pm #38354Anonymous
InactiveThanks. I think I may be done trying to wean. I’ll give it at least 6 months or more before we try again. Are you using Pepcid complete at night only or have you tried for day time breakthrough? I’m thinking about trying it for Kayleigh instead of Tums. But it is very rare she needs it, so is it effective if it only used periodically?
Seth is adorable! I love his smile.July 1, 2007 at 2:37 pm #38358Anonymous
InactiveI really feel your pain. We just did a trial of milk and failed again. Colt is still on meds too. We may have the two children who need meds for a longer period of time. Maybe we should just wait until they are five.
July 2, 2007 at 10:19 am #38397Anonymous
InactiveWe use the Pepcid Complete every night at bedtime. It has been a wonder drug. We were doing Mylanta but he would always wake up 2-3 hours after going down like he was being tortured.
He has had a couple of bad nights with the Pepcid but now it is more of a rare occurence vs. an every night thing.I think the Pepcid would work on demand and if you just used it as needed. Two of the ingredients are the same as TUMS/Mylanta but it also has an acid reducer which really helps with the breakthrough attacks.July 2, 2007 at 12:05 pm #38398Anonymous
InactiveOh I am so sorry to hear it didn’t work out! I know how disheartening it can be, and you must be so stressed after going through this for so long. I hope everything works out…but you sure have a gorgeous happy little gal in the meantime!
July 7, 2007 at 6:04 pm #38781Anonymous
InactiveThanks, she is going to make me be on my toes I tell you. She said the other day that cute girls don’t get time-out. I disagreed. LOL Don’t know where she comes up with this stuff.
Well we may have to go back on three times a day meds. ICK! She’s been hoarse since Monday and no other symptom so her ped suggested we try adding back the third dose. It may be time to request a scope and probe. She’s never had either because meds seemed to work in the past and we don’t have anybody in our town who does these procedures for pediatric patients. So we will see. -
AuthorPosts
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
