Home › Forums › Infant Reflux Support › HELP!!! › Hospitalization AFTER endoscopy
- This topic has 46 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 20 years, 7 months ago by
Anonymous.
-
AuthorPosts
-
March 10, 2006 at 7:27 pm #3556
Anonymous
InactiveHi everyone-
Apologies if anyone was worried (and again, many appreciations for the encouraging wishes), but we had an unforseen detour after the endoscopy-complete scary nightmare-but we’re back home now and Ian is smiling. Had no computer since Tuesday and was going crazy dying to do research and talk with you all on what they were saying to us, but had to fly solo. So here’s the story-
We woke up at 4am to feed Ian before endoscopy (rules of no feedings 8 hours prior). Ian ate about 5 oz (always did well first feeding) and promptly projectile vomited all over our bed. Was concerned because knew he couldn’t eat again until after 3, but gave him pedialyte a little while after. My parents and I got to the hospital and everything moved pretty smoothly UNTIL we go into the proceedure room. They tell me the anesthsia (still can’t spell that) will be by needle because of soy in other alternatives. However, because Ian had been vomiting and not eating for a week they had a hard time finding his veins. He wasn’t dehydrated yet, but very close to it. Literally, they had me hold him as they stuck him like a pin cushion. He screamed and screamed-it was HORRIFIC. My father eventually had to go out and hold him because I couldn’t stop crying. It was an hour total-no exaggeration. Finally, the doctor told me they would have to put him to sleep with a needle, then hydrate him, then find a vein to put him under and do the proceedure. We said ok because he was getting so bad with the vomiting and not eating. From there, it was another hour. Doctor came out and said preliminary pictures showed several ulcers in esophogus and stomach and the biopsys would tell us more but wouldn’t be ready until Friday. She then said she wanted to admit Ian overnight to hydrate and observe. So off we went and dh met us later. Ian woke up (so sweet and sleepy and very needy) and couldn’t eat anything but I wasn’t surprised. They also started intravenous Prevacid and Reglan (which I screamed and hollered about but Dr. explained we had to stop the vomiting and she was using a tiny dose) so we relented because we trust her.
Next day-pedialyte and elecare mixed and he ate ok-20 oz but doctor asked if we’d mind staying 2 nights because Ian was still coughing like crazy and not up to par, so we did. However, I did talk her out of the Reglan and she switched us to erythromycin(which I never knew was used for reflux but apparently in small doses-it’s not an antibiotic and quite effective for dge). But Ian would not eat anything all day -1 oz-I’m not kidding. So we had to stay another night for hydration. At this point, we’re like-what the heck is going on-so they did an xray and again saw no stool. We also got back the biopsys and they showed no eosinophillic disorder (thankfully) or anything else scary (colon or otherwise). Just severe esophogitis-damage from reflux they suspected was prompted by all the viruses Ian has caught at daycare over the last month-including stomach one they guess this last time. In fact, we still have one blood test we’re waiting on testing Ian’s gamaglobulin levels which could explain the weak digestive system and is treatible (my husband and his sister both had to be treated for week gg levels when they were born but it was respiratory related not digestive and both were fine). Not bad enough for surgery but intensive meds. We’re still blown away-he wasn’t showing any signs of that-but I guess it manifested itself in a different way? We’re also not sure that the reflux is just a symptom of something else but dr. said hold off on more tests until we get the reflux under control and he’s eating again. I do agree on that as he’s been through hell these last few days. People were sticking him with needles constantly and he just was miserable and scared entire time we were there. He’s now afraid of strangers and that breaks my heart. Inconsolable at times too. Finally, today, third day-still no eating and Dr. wanted us to stay over the weekend and started talking about a tube. I was quite frustrated at this point and said I wanted to take Ian home for the weekend because I felt he was thriving in the hospital because in his eyes, he was being terrorized. Then, we could always revisit the tube as an outpatient. I just had to get him out of there. So, doctor to her credit, said that’s a good point and released us with prescriptions for everything and switching to prilosec very high dose (she said some kids do better on it). Also, she knew about the instability and referred me to a pharmacist in nyc that is very careful on that. Finally, we came home, made a bottle for Ian including Simply Thick again and a dash of brown sugar and he ate 5 oz great. CAN’T WAIT to get that elecare in vanilla flavor.
Not quite sure what we’re thinking/feeling right now, but my happy little boy is back and dancing around in his bouncer right now! I hope the eating continues and the meds come through so we can avoid a tube. I think the new elecare will help. He’s still got a nasty cough (sounding very mucousy) and we’ll wait for the gg test, but I’m thinking about becoming a stay at home mom. Financially, not good, but we’ll make it work. With all these meds, him getting sick effecting the reflux (he’s always better after time away), and starting solids next month, I think it’s better right now-especially because we’re so far from family. Can always restart down the line perhaps when reflux is more under control. We’ll also keep searching to see if anything additional is causing this but who knows.
Any thoughts? On meds? Tests? Results? Treatment? or such… always welcome ideas. We’re hanging in there. Scary to be on the edge but we’re ok. Ians looking good and I have a feeling it’ll all work itself out.
Tracy (Ian’s Mom 9-26-05) Elecare, simply thick, prilosec, erythomycin, carfate (that list got longer!)
March 10, 2006 at 8:20 pm #3557Anonymous
InactivePoor little guy! I’ll say a prayer for Ian tonight – for a quick recovery and good eating. He’s been through a lot. Makes me feel bad for complaining about my piddly little Reflux problem. (My boy has reflux, but otherwise is fine). You’re probably right that staying home with your baby sounds like a good idea for now. There are so many viruses/bacteria in day care and it sounds like Ian’s been through enough. I really don’t have much advice, just wanted to send my best wishes for Ian.
March 10, 2006 at 9:00 pm #3561Anonymous
Inactivetracy, i had no idea how bad sylvia’s reflux was or how much damage she had until we got the results from her ph probe and her endo. i watched her monitor drop to acid levels and she didn’t even flinch, just went on playing—and her esophagus was ulcerated. the doc said it was all she had ever known. what med has he been on before this dose of prilosec. it seems like the majority of people that have been on this board have had better luck with prevacid.
i’ve been a stay at home mom for 18 years (i did substitute teach one year) and we have been able to get by on one income and we still have 8 kids at home. it can be done.
i have an ian, too. mine is going to be 17 next month.
kevieb2006-3-10 21:1:17
March 10, 2006 at 9:03 pm #3563Anonymous
InactiveMy goodness Tracy!!! Big hugs to you and Ian and your DH and everyone.
I’m so sorry to hear what an ordeal this has been and sorry to hear
about the ulcers and esophageal damage. But glad nothing wrong with
colon or or eosinophillic disorder. I’m also really glad Dr. Moon
listened to you and let you bring Ian home rather than starting a
feeding tube. So what dose of Prilosec did she put him on? Is he
staying on eurythromycin for now? Did they test for DGE?I’ve never heard of that gamaglobulin issue – how is that treated and when will you have those results back?
Being a SAHM sounds good to me if you can afford it/make it work. I’m
basically the same – technically a WAHM but I don’t work all that much.
And once Ian is healthy we can meet up for play dates then.Is the new Elecare out? Have you ordered it? Keep me posted – I’ll be
offon email this weekend and on my cell too (I’ll email you the #) –
will be at the hospital visting FIL some but available also to talk.Hang in there – hope Ian feels well and recovers and continues to eat.
March 10, 2006 at 9:07 pm #3564Anonymous
InactiveBTW Christine – Ian was on 30 mg of Prevacid Solutabs when this all
happened – the doctor just now is switching him to Prilosec to see if
he does better on that instead.March 10, 2006 at 9:10 pm #3566Anonymous
InactiveTracy, what an ordeal! I’m so glad to hear that Ian is back at home, and that your doc is on top of things. You guys have been through so much. Hearing your story makes me feel the need to get Hailey tested even more. I have a gut feeling that she has damage just by the severity of her Sandifer’s. Hopefully someone will agree to scope her. As for the SAHM issue, that seems like what’s going to be happening here as well- my doc doesn’t feel that hailey’s well enough for daycare. I really hope the high dose of prilosec helps to heal his esophagus, and that he feels comfortable soon. Did he ever try zegerid… might be easier than the compounding. Even when everyone assured me that our pharmacy was compounding our losec properly, turns out it still wasn’t. Sending big HUGS…
March 10, 2006 at 9:36 pm #3571Anonymous
Inactivei sure hope the prilosec works!! since your doc feels that the damage was caused by out of control reflux from illness, will she do any later testing to be sure all is well, or do you think you will be able to guage that by the way he is acting? did he have a ph probe done, too? can you direct me to some of your old posts that have told what led up to where he is now? i guess i didn’t know why you went in for the endo—–i have always had a hard time keeping track of people on the boards–you know, user name, real name, child’s name, too much info for me to keep track of LOL!!!must be old age—lately i am losing my train of thought mid-sentence………
March 10, 2006 at 11:20 pm #3577Anonymous
InactiveI apologize if this sounds ignorant on my part because I’m sure that, at 6+ months the docs have already tested for it but, just out of curiosity have they tested for Pyloric Stenosis???? This sounds EXACTLY like what my son was doing and a pediatrician (other than his own) after hearing what he was doing only once said “he’s got pyloric stenosis”…. as confident as ever and, low and behold, he did. I just wondered. Trying to be helpful but at the risk of sounding ignorant!
March 11, 2006 at 1:35 am #3582Anonymous
InactiveTracy, how are you and Ian holding up? I wonder what made the reflux get so bad so quickly? At least you know why he is not eating, it must be really painful for him. I agree with Lori, I would try and get the zegerid, prilosec is not really absorbed well in any form except with caracream. We use the losec MUPS which dissolve in water which are easy to administer but according to marci kids not a great option. We tried compounded and it was like he was on no medicine at all.
I know what you mean about the stranger fear. A couple of weeks ago we took Tyler for blood tests and he had to lie down on a bed. The nurse was great and got the vein the first time, but ever since, when we lay him down on a bed at the doctors he freaks out.
I havent seen the Elecare in vanilla yet I am going to ask the pharmacist next time. The elecare we get is imported from the US so we should be able to get it, Tyler is probably used to the unflavoured by now though.
I hope Ian feels better soon. Im sure once he has healed he will feel like eating again. Hope you can make the staying at home work out. My husband is a stay at home dad and I am a work at home mom, I dont think any daycare would have the patience for Tyler!
March 11, 2006 at 3:49 am #3587Anonymous
InactiveTracy
Wow — sounds like you have gone through a lot. But i am so glad that little Ian is at least under treatment and that they know what he has.
On the poking at the hospital — i find it so freaking ridiculous. When i was in NY it was the same thing… Matthew was young and they could not get hsi veins and kept poking and poking. I found out here in Madrid that they poke babies in teh jugular (or yugular?) main vein in the neck. It takes about 1 second to find and has tons of blood… the nurses here told me that it is crazy to poke babies that little in arms or legs or hands… but of course, you have ot have specialised nurses who do it.
Well, at least you know about the ulcers. I am glad they found something that will hopefully go away pretty soon under teh current treatment! He must have been feeling so sick! Poor little one. Babies are just so much tougher than adults though.
Glad that he does not have EOS cells. You know, my ped explained to me that ANY DISEASE or even stress will make reflux much worse! He said that anything that makes baby uncomfortable or unhappy will make the stomach secrete a lot more gastric juices, which in turn will put pressure on stomach, which in turn will create more reflux… that is why babies with reflux do so badly when sick or teething… So maybe that is what went on?
Have they done any MRI or sonogram of the brain? I am asking because my ped said that sometimes pressure in the brain could also cause all the throwing up and reflux symptoms…
Pyloric stenosis… my ped said that usually that occurs at a much younger age usually (ie the throwing up does, and i thin Ian just started throwing up recently?), but maybe worth checking.
If you need to keep him hydrated, it really is MUCH BETTER to have an NG tube for a couple of days than to have him poked for veins again. Believe me. If you have to go in for dehydration (which i am hoping you will not) please think about the NG tube… no´-invasive, takes about 10 seconds to put it in, 10 seconds to check it is in place and 10 seconds to tape…. i know you don´t want to think about this, but just thought i would let you know just in case. you can get all teh meds through there and even formula (vs the IV which is just fluids)
About staying at home… i am def staying at home until Matthew is feeling better. It may mean losing my job, but if that is the case, i will try and find something else later on… remember, maybe once he is feeling better he will love school and then you will be able to return to work if you so wish!!
I hope he feels better soon! Sending all of my love.
March 11, 2006 at 8:29 am #3593Anonymous
InactiveWhat a nightmare at the hospital! I feel so bad for you and Ian! Hopefully now that they know he has ulcers and severe reflux then they can help out more! I think it is a fantastic idea to switch to prilosec. We never had success on prevacid but switched to a less commonly used drug and it was a whole new world. I think it could just be a matter of finding the right medicine with him. How is he doing today? Hopefully he is eating alot and happy!
March 11, 2006 at 8:03 pm #3617Anonymous
InactiveThanks for all the insights guys-it’s a lot to think about.
Ian’s doing SO much better at home-very happy and playful, calm and relaxed. However, although he’s eaten 24oz today (yeah!!), it’s been a struggle. In fact, dh and I were just saying that this is the first day since all this happened that we’re seeing traditional reflux symptoms-meaning big time arching-really something we haven’t seen in months. I’m wondering if that’s because it’s first full day of prilosec switch-do we have to go through another 2 weeks before we see results or is switching from prevacid assumed to make it easier? He’ll also stay on erythomycin for now and the carafate (which I don’t think makes any difference …yet). I’m all for making a change if the prevacid at a high dose wasn’t making it, but I like everyone, hate being on a compounded version. However, my hands are tied. The pharmacist really does seem to know his stuff and my doctor knows it’s unstable as well and swears by this pharmacy-saying many patients have done well. BUT-I of course am skeptical. DH and I decided we have to trust her at some point. We keep questioning everything with her-reglan, tests, etc and she’s been so great. Don’t want to turn her off. If we notice any decline, we’ll be sure to bring it up.
Thais-thanks for info on the tube. Yes, we’ve kind of accepted it if we need. As a parent, it breaks my heart and we’re still trying to hold out if we can keep him interested, but we know we’re down to the wire and may have to switch. Vanilla Elecare comes out this week and I’m hoping for some help there and will then decide. I know you’ve had great success and that encourages me. Matthew’s doing great on solids too, right? Can’t wait to meet you both.
Crossing fingers…
Tracy (Ian’s mom 9-26-05)
March 12, 2006 at 5:56 am #3621Anonymous
InactiveTracy
I am glad that he is eating! Which pharmacy are you going to… is it Cherry´s? They are pretty good and know their stuff if that is it. I am glad you like your doctor — it is probably the most important part of it all!
Matthew is no longer doing well again — oh well – down to eating 1 ounce per feeding only so we are using the tube to supplement everything. He goes in phases so we are not at the lowest we have been for a while. We know that it really is appetite together with routine… i mean, if he wants, he can take up to 8 ounces in solids! So tehre is def no issue with swallowing or texture or anything — he mjust refuses to eat half of teh time and the other half he gulps it down because he is distracted enough…
But enough about Matthew — yes, can´t wait to meet you guys! We are probably going back after easter… we are going to south of spain to teh beach with matthew that week so cannot wait to get him into the pool!!!
March 12, 2006 at 7:52 am #3624Anonymous
InactiveYes! It is Cherrys-I agree they seem to know what they’re doing-you first used compounded prilosec, right? Did it work for you-why did you stop? They still insist it’s stable for a month, which makes me nervous..
I’m so sorry that Matthew’s not eating the best-its so hard, isn’t it? Ian’s same way-sometimes he eats, sometimes not. I’m not sure it’s always related to reflux when he does that.
As for the tube-can you still feed him orally and then use the tube if he’s refusing? Does he get solids in there too? Can you then feed him a normal amount-or does he get fussy? I know nothing about this and it’s a little overwhelming.
BTW-Ian ate 6oz this am and really wanted it! But huge struggle to get it down. This definitely looks like traditional reflux now. Don’t want to add Zantac until Prilosec kicks in because he’s on so many other meds right now. Hanging in there…!
Tracy
March 12, 2006 at 8:42 am #3625hellbennt
Keymasterif you’re concerned about the compound, just ask them to humour you
and tell them how you’d like it compounded & that you want it for 2wks at a time
– if you like your doctor, tell her/him that you know you have to trust her, you do, but please humour you
& write the prescription out for 2wks, pretty please
– shouldn’t ‘hurt’ the doctor to do this…good luck! -
AuthorPosts
- The forum ‘HELP!!!’ is closed to new topics and replies.
