Home › Forums › Feeding Issues › General Feeding Issues › 6 month old menu- milk based formula??
- This topic has 5 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 20 years, 4 months ago by
Anonymous.
-
AuthorPosts
-
June 5, 2006 at 1:41 pm #9151
Anonymous
InactiveIf some of you could please post a typical daily menu for a/your 6 month old, I would really appreciate it. It’s been a while since I had a baby in the house, and everything I read is so contradicting. Ellie has been doing much better, but now I’m having a little trouble with her being constipated.
Also, does anyone have any suggestions concerning switching to milk-based formula? Is it necessary before trying milk products? She has been on soy- I know that it can be more constipating. I’ve read some disturbing things about soy formula, but my older boys were on it with no known problems. I’d really rather have the “expert” opinions from here than anywhere else.

Thanks,
Susan
June 5, 2006 at 3:56 pm #9164Anonymous
InactiveHi Susan,
I don’t have much advise, but I’m wondering what you’ve read about soy formula. I read some scary stuff about it when my first child was a baby. Myles gets breast milk mostly but I do supplement with soy as milk gave him terrible ezcema when he was first born. I don’t even know if he has any other dairy sensitivies since I’ve never given him milk formula.
Anyway, I am thinking of making the switch as well. I’ve read some interesting things here, like using Carnation Good Start with the broken down proteins first, but not the Enfamil Gentlease because it has casein (I don’t know why that’s a problem, but like you I trust these “expert” moms).
As for how to make the switch I think I will give him 2 ounces a day at first to see how he does and if there’s no reaction after two weeks I’ll start gradually increasing the milk formula and decreasing the soy. I’ve also read here many times that it can take a few weeks for the proteins from milk to build up so a reaction may not ocurr immediately. So, I guess it’s important to go slow.
As for a typical schedule at six months, I’m not sure there really is a typical schedule. I guess my three at that age all were still mostly on breast milk or formula (about 5 bottles per day) with two servings of solids (a few tablespoons of oatmeal cereal and 1/2 to 1 small jar of baby food).
I hope you can make the switch and that it helps Ellie’s constipation.
Christine
June 5, 2006 at 8:36 pm #9174Anonymous
InactiveAidan is on milk based formula but it’s lactose free..don’t know if that would help at all..he’s exactly 6 months and gets baby food for breakfast, lunch and dinner, just not very much at all, maybe 1/3-1/2 a jar each time, then about an hour or so later he wants his bottle, 4 oz thickened with 3 tbs cereal. He eats around 20ish oz of formula a day..(I think I stopped tracking his formula intake when it began making me a bit nuts b/c I was always worrying if it was enough of not)..and I learned a new trick for helping with the gassiness he gets from green veggies…give the mylicon right after she eats as opposed to when she gets gassy..it works for Aidan every time!
June 5, 2006 at 8:37 pm #9175hellbennt
Keymasterif you do switch/try to switch to milk, check out http://www.disa.com.au and go to the left menu:Food Intolerant
:: Allergic Babyto learn about mspi – the symptoms/difference b/t allergies & intolerances…
June 6, 2006 at 7:06 am #9191Anonymous
InactiveMy six month old is getting about a 1/4 cup of oatmeal and a half a jar (2 oz) of second baby food for breakfast and dinner and about 20 oz of formula broken up into three or four bottles (depending if he wakes up to eat at nigh or not)
I am thinking about adding a lunch but I was going to check with my ped. at our apt. tomorrow to see just how much formula he should be getting. I worry about him filling up too much of the food.
As far as switching to milk, I don’t think we will be trying that any time soon so I don’t have any help for you there. Good luck
June 6, 2006 at 7:16 am #9192Anonymous
InactiveWe are trying a switch from Alimentum to Enfamil starting today and if
it works we’ll be able to try other dairy products (cheese, yogurt,
etc) in a few weeks. We’re doing a very slow transition – slowly adding
in more and more Enfamil over the course of 7-10 days.At almost 10 months, Marisa takes in about 18 ounces formula (through 3
bottles), 3-4 ounces fiber juice (straw cup) and three meals a day –
her breakfast is usually 2tbsp oatmeal with 2 ounces fruit, her lunch 2
ounces veggies with 2 ounces chicken (I make and grind her chicken
soup) and her dinner is usually 3 tbsp oatmeal with 2.5 ounces veggies
and 1-2 ounces fruit for dessert. She tends to finish most of her
breakfast, only half of lunch and all of dinner on a normal day. She
finishes her meals with finger foods – Cheerios, puffs, small pieces of
whole wheat bread, etc. -
AuthorPosts
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
