Home › Forums › Infant Reflux Information › Medicines › Alternative to Reglan
- This topic has 9 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 19 years, 8 months ago by
Anonymous.
-
AuthorPosts
-
January 15, 2007 at 8:07 am #22372
Anonymous
InactiveMy doc tried prescribing Bethanacol for my daughter, but it’s not used very much anymore, and was very hard to find. We decided that the higher dose of Prevacid would be a better choice, and it seems to be working for her now. I did speak with a pharmacist about the Bethanacol, according to him there were no adverse side effects, it’s just an older drug and harder to come by now. You may want to try to do your own research on it, although i had a hard time trying to find any real info on it.
Hope this helps!
January 15, 2007 at 1:58 pm #22406Anonymous
InactiveThank you all so much for your help! I am waiting to hear back from my Dr. today re. the meds for my son. I called on Friday and my Dr. was out but another said I could go up to 15 mg. of Prevaicd daily, and that’s it! Duh, already on it!! It is really becoming a struggle to get him on a higher dose of Prevacid! I don’t know what to do. I have already taken in the Marci-kids info, but this didn’t help. I am open to any other suggestions! Thank you all for your time!!
Denise, if I could just get that extra dosage in in the pm, like you, I think we would be so much better off!
January 15, 2007 at 2:10 pm #22408Anonymous
InactiveMaybe you could talk to your Dr. about adding a dose of Zantac or Pepcid in the PM…I know that helped Brianna out a ton! I am sorry your Dr. won’t give you a higher dose…here is the other thing you might try. Ask your Dr. for a script for the higher does for three weeks only…just to see if there is improvement…if there is, maybe he will let you continue on the higher dose. I think many drs. are super conservative with that they will prescribe. We ended up at three different GI drs until we found the one that was willing to work with us on doesage, etc.
January 15, 2007 at 6:37 pm #22421Anonymous
InactiveYou might want to try asking a family practice doctor for the higher dose. That’s where we initially got Bryce’s higher dose prescribed. Good luck!
January 15, 2007 at 8:30 pm #22427Anonymous
InactiveActually, my regular pediatrician is the one who finally let us go up to the 30 mg/day for Dagney, and it’s already done wonders after only a few days. She’s still spitting up a lot, but she doesn’t seem to be in pain any more! I know it sounds bad, but if you just keep pushing them, and I bet you can wear them down!!
The Pepcid/Zantac route is another way you can go too, although they didn’t really seem to help my daughter at all. She had a horrible reaction to the Zantac, although I know many others here use it fine, she’s just one of those oddball kids who have the adverse affects. The Pepcid was fine for her, but it didn’t seem to help her GERD at all.
Good luck!
January 15, 2007 at 8:39 pm #22428Anonymous
InactiveThank you all so much for your help and concern! Unfortunately, my dr. told me today that he can’t take more than 15 mg./day of Prevacid, and the only thing I can do (besides the Reglan) is Mylanta or Maalox (1.5 teaspoon) between the 2 doses of Prevacid. BTW, this is my second pediatrician!! I gave the Marci-kids info. to both drs., but they really didn’t seem to think much of it. And this new dr. came highly recommended!! I feel like I’m trying to obtain some illegal substance for my child!!
I would really like to try even just 7.5 more mg. a day!! I’m at my wits end!! I emailed Marci-kids, Dr. Phillips, today to see if he knew of any drs. in my area that may help me! Between this and trying to get my DS to sleep (days and nights) I’m really frustrated! Thank you all for your help and support!!January 15, 2007 at 8:56 pm #22431hellbennt
Keymasterthere’s a link called ‘finding a GI’ or something close to that in my welcome/intro…
HTH
January 19, 2007 at 11:45 am #22683Anonymous
InactiveHow long has your son been on the Prevacid? My daughter is the same age age and it took a good 3 weeks to see improvement. And I upped her dose to 7.5 twice a day too. Is he on soultabs? My doc finally said she could have 7.5 twice a day so now I am supposed to dissolve a tab in 5ml of water and give her 2ml twice a day. So I am supposed to use 2 tabs a day. But instead I cut the tab in half and dissolve it in 2ml of water and use the other half later. It works out good and I have extra tabs left in case I need to up it myself. I am not saying that it is okay to up the med yourself or anything. I am just saying what I do.
Also we started reglan yesterday and she seemed tired and her hands were trembling so I will not be using that anymore.
January 19, 2007 at 2:11 pm #22696Anonymous
InactiveAdriana’s mommy,
My son was on 7.5 1x/day for 2 weeks, he started the beg. of Dec. Then, right before Christmas I upped it to 7.5mg/2x day myself, b/c our current pediatrician said absoultely not. Got a new ped., and she said to put him on this dosage (I didn’t tell her I had done it myself already). He did better on the two dosages after about 2.5 weeks. I did it like you did before, dissolving in the water, but i read on here about people putting half the solutab in babys mouth and holding it there. I have been doing that and I think he gets more of the meds. b/c he was drooling out a lot when I dissolved it. Also, I shoot a few syringes of water in his mouth while i am holding it there so it will dissolve quicker. It really dissolves fast, and my son seems to like the flavor of the solutab! I was hoping to get him a third dose, as he still has times he cries as he is throwing up. Plus, Marci-kids recommends it 3x a day, but my doc (even my new one) refuses to up the dosage. She offered the Reglan, but I am too afraid.
Thanks for your info., and please let me know if your doc. tries something besides the Reglan. I would love to help my son more, but I am just too afraid of the Reglan.
Thanks!
January 19, 2007 at 5:02 pm #22702Anonymous
InactiveAnn,
Since your ped won’t up his dose anymore, have you asked him if you could use Zantac mid-day? Some babies on this board have done well with the combination of a PPI and an H2 Blocker.
-
AuthorPosts
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
