Home › Forums › Infant Reflux Support › HELP!!! › Help! It is going downhill quickly!
- This topic has 24 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 20 years, 6 months ago by
Anonymous.
-
AuthorPosts
-
March 24, 2006 at 9:16 am #4545
Anonymous
InactiveWe started the milk trial a few days ago and all seemed well. He woke up this morning only ate 4 oz (the last time he ate was 6 pm yesterday) and I tried to get him to eat yogurt with not much success. Then he had a massive diarrhea blowout (sorry tmi) and then started projectile vommitting everywhere. So now i gave him a bath and tried to get him to drink some pedialyte (is completely refusing his formula now) and he wouldn’t even let the bottle near his mouth. I really think that I should stop the milk trial now but i don’t want to mess this up if i am wrong on this. What do you all think? I don’t even have a can of nutramigen left and I have no one that will bring me some. I will just have to hope and pray that he doesn’t throw up or have diarrhea when i go out! My dh is going to be working super super super late today so i am on my own. I am really thinking he will be dehydrated in no time at this rate. He is napping right now and I want to keep checking on him b/c i am so afraid that he is not ok at all!
March 24, 2006 at 9:23 am #4551Anonymous
InactiveHi Sarah. I would definitely stop the milk trial for now. Didn’t you
say he was recovering from an ear infection and/or virus? If so, I’d
think you should wait until he’s all better and not starting on milk
with an already compromised immune system. Maybe give it another month
and start out really slowly with some hidden dairy?When he wakes up can you take him to go get some Nutramigen? If not, maybe try again with Pedialyte when he wakes up?
If will take any solids go with apples and bananas to bind him up some?
Ugh – hope he feels better soon.
March 24, 2006 at 9:27 am #4552Anonymous
InactiveAlso, Sarah – what kind of yogurt were you using? I know a lot of
people on here have posted about Yo Baby causing them diarrhea, etc –
even if other dairy had been going OK.March 24, 2006 at 9:40 am #4555Anonymous
InactiveYes it was yo baby yogurt but he only took a couple of bites and had diarrhea before that. Good to know about the yo baby though. I just called and left a message for the ped. We had taken him back a few days ago and they said he was completely healthy (no ear infections at all anymore) and said to go ahead with the milk formula. I called my mom and she is bringing a can of nutramigen to me in about an hour. I am thinking that we need to wait on the milk formula for a month too! How are the solids going with Marisa?
March 24, 2006 at 9:46 am #4556Anonymous
InactiveI’m so glad your mom can bring you the Nutramigen! Yea – I’d wait at
least another month – maybe even until he’s one year old. I don’t know
that I’ll be brave enough to try before one year myself – haven’t
really decided yet.Solids are going pretty well. Right now Marisa has this nasty virus
(fever reached 102 again in middle of night) so not much appetite. She
seems to LOVE peas though and so far no reaction that I can tell (today
will be day 4). So that makes foods she can eat so far all of peaches,
banana and peas. Pears and avocado caused rashes and fussiness, carrots
constipated. I think we may try prunes on Sunday morning if she’s
feeling better. Want to try blueberries soon too. She’s not overall
enthused about eating solids but hopefully will be more so again after
this virus passes.Hope he feels better when we wakes from the nap and lets you give him some Pedialyte and/or Nutramigen… Let us know.
March 24, 2006 at 10:19 am #4562Anonymous
InactiveSarah, i think it takes a few days before they become dehydrated. My doc. said to use pedialyte when there is vomiting and diahrrea and just stay off of milk products. Hope he feels better soon!
March 24, 2006 at 10:47 am #4566Anonymous
InactiveMy ped just called and said to stop the milk formula for a month and we can try again then. He said it is hard to say if it is a virus or allegy. He said try to push pedialyte or nutramigen. If he has not wet 3-4 diapers in 24 hours then i need to go to the er. He said that he has seen alot of stomach viruses lately so there is a good chance that is what it is.
Sarah,
With Isaac already on a hunger strike the ped thinks he will get dehydrated quickly so I am really worried already!
March 24, 2006 at 12:28 pm #4572Anonymous
InactiveSarah
I hope that he is feeling better… about dehydration — i know it is scary but Matthew lost more than 2 pounds in the last hunger strike before teh tube and he was NOT dehydrated at all (when they did urine and blood tests…). Doctor told me it takes a lot to really have a dehydrated baby… so hopefully he will be OK!
March 24, 2006 at 1:30 pm #4578Anonymous
InactiveWell since we got his nutramigen back he is acting fine and starting to eat again. I think if there is no more scary bodily functions then we are to assume it is still milk protein allergy (that is what i understood from the conversation with ped but we will be back at the ped’s office on thursday to discuss).
March 24, 2006 at 1:51 pm #4579Anonymous
InactiveI’m so glad to hear it! I know you were looking forward to having him
on milk but that will come soon enough and I’m so glad Isaac is getting
back to himself.Just wish now that M’s virus would break. She’s napping now but her
temp was 101 WITH Tylenol before she fell asleep. Will give Advil when
she wakes I guess. She’s also only had 9 ounces all day…March 24, 2006 at 2:11 pm #4580Anonymous
InactiveYes I am wondering now if I will ever try him on milk again LOL! Not anytime soon. I kind of feel bad and guilty about it but I really didn’t know that this would happen.
Poor Marisa! Does she have any other symptoms than the fever? Tylenol never really takes Isaac’s fever away anymore. I hope she is feeling better soon!
March 24, 2006 at 2:14 pm #4581Anonymous
InactiveDon’t feel bad and guilty at all – I think it’s really great that you tried and he’ll be back to himself soon enough!
She is very congested and sort lethargic, just not herself – she’s
normally so active and alert. But she did play a bit with some toys
this morning so that was nice. And of course
the lack of appetite. Yea – definitely giving Advil/Motrin as soon as
she wakes up – I did give her Tylenol though at 11:45 am EST – do you
know how long I have to wait to give Advil? Last she had that was 7am
this morning.I thought the Advil might be upsetting her tummy but as long as she has
food with it it really only seems to make her spit up a bit more…knb182006-3-24 14:15:34
March 24, 2006 at 2:35 pm #4582Anonymous
Inactive6-8 hours between doses of ibuprofin so EST she can have it any time. Some say to wait 3 hours after a dose of tylenol so they have something running through their system the whole time and in that case it would be 2:45 EST. She didn’t have an ear infection yesterday at the dr?
March 24, 2006 at 2:55 pm #4584Anonymous
InactiveThanks Sarah. Giving the Motrin right now (2:55 EST). Doctor said ears
were clear yesterday (as was chest and throat) but if still fever
tomorrow may have to check again.March 24, 2006 at 3:26 pm #4590Anonymous
InactiveSarah, glad to hear that Isaac is doing better on his nutramigen again.
Karen, I’m sorry that marisa is still feeling so sick. I just wanted to let you know that ibuprofin (motrin/advil) and acetaminophen (tylenol) are two separate drugs, so as long as you follow the correct dosing for each drug, you don’t technically have to wait between the advil and the tylenol. We have had a lot (too much) experience needing to bring down fevers for Sarah, and so this was confirmed by every doctor we’ve seen. If you need to really bring the fever down, sometimes keeping a constant dose of meds in the system is the way to go. They told us tylenol, then 2 hours later advil, etc. Sometimes we have had to dose like this around the clock. I just thought I’d let you know so you can ask your doc about it if you need to. Also, keeping them dressed lightly and pushing fluids like water are key to bringing the temp down.
Sorry Sarah- I didn’t mean to hijack. Hope both Isaac and Marisa are feeling better soon.
-
AuthorPosts
- The forum ‘HELP!!!’ is closed to new topics and replies.
