Home › Forums › Infant Reflux Information › Medicines › What should we do?
- This topic has 14 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 19 years, 3 months ago by
Anonymous.
-
AuthorPosts
-
June 21, 2007 at 5:41 pm #37516
Anonymous
InactiveSo, we’re down to 15 mg/day of the Prevacid, and Dagney hasn’t really been fussy or whiney, but her naps are pretty much back to 30-45 mins each again. She’s also spitting up a little bit more now (still nothing like before, though), I’ve heard her reflux a few times where it’s come up and she’s swallowed it again where it didn’t seem to bother her, but then this afternoon she let out a cry when it happened. She’s also coughing/clearing her throat more frequently now than when she was on the full dose. She’s been on 15 mg (7.5 2x.day) for 9 days now. I know there may be “rebound” reflux, but I thought someone posted that Dr. Philips said that should pass after a week or so. Some of these symptoms came around day 4-5 of her switch from 30 to 22.5, but then they went away after a day or 2. They started around the same time from her switch from 22.5mg to 15, but they haven’t gone away. I still don’t hear the gurgling, and she’s eating fine and most of the time she’s happy. I think she is teething I again, she keeps sucking on her lower lip and pinching her lips together and really chewing on things. (When are they NOT teething?!)
What should I do? I was originally planning on lowering her doses each week or so. I did that from 30 to 22.5 and from 22.5 to 15, but my husband & I are going away tomorrow til Monday, so I wasn’t going to lower it any more until Tuesday (she’s staying here with my in-laws). Should I now plan on leaving her at this dose, or upping her back up to 20mg (10 2x/day) or 22.5 (7.5 3x/day) and wait a while to lower her any more? I also considered trying to give her the Carafate tomorrow before nap and if she slept better, I figured that would tell me that it was her reflux and not the teething. What do you all think?
I’m very disappointed that we may have to up her dose again, but she is only 9 months, and may just need to be on it a little longer. I tried calling the GI this afternoon, but they were already gone for the day, so I’ll call first thing in the morning to see what they say.
Would you all still suggest trialing the Nutramigen in a few weeks, even if she’s still on the Prevacid, or should I forego that for now?
Thanks so much for all your help!!
dfb05 2007-6-21 17:47:59 June 21, 2007 at 7:54 pm #37523Anonymous
Inactive
Hmmm…..that’s a tough call. I’m sorry that it’s not going as smoothly as you had hoped. I think the carafate idea is a good one. If she sleeps better that would be a good sign that reflux is bothering her. As for the Nutramigen, I’d probably not try a change until she’s been med free for a while, or if you put her back on meds, try the formula change and then wait a few weeks to try weaning off meds again. I think it would be too confusing to over lap the two. It’s already confusing and you haven’t touched the formula issue yet!

Sorry, this probaby isn’t helping much.
June 21, 2007 at 8:11 pm #37529Anonymous
InactiveI tend to panic over med trials, so I’d probably bump it back up for a while. A more rational person would probably tell you just to hold where it is for a little while longer and make sure that her grandparents know about the carafate in case she has a rough weekend.
June 21, 2007 at 8:54 pm #37536Anonymous
InactiveOh gosh, you guys are always REALLY helpful!!
It’s just so hard! I forgot also to mention that, although she is still sleeping through the night fine, she’s making noises again in her sleep that make it sound like she’s in pain, and she’ll move around a lot while she’s making them. She hasn’t done that for a long time!! I guess I will try the Carafate, and maybe get some Gaviscon tomorrow too. When do you use the Gaviscon, like Mylanta? Does timing with it matter?
June 21, 2007 at 9:35 pm #37543Anonymous
InactiveI would do 20mg. daily for a week and see how she does. I wouldn’t switch formula just yet. I think you need to work on one thing and then look into the other. I would also try the carafate tomorrow just to see how she sleeps.
June 21, 2007 at 10:11 pm #37547Anonymous
InactiveDenise,
Sorry to hijack this forum for a second, but I just have to ask if
you like your pedi gi and could recomment him/her. I live in
your area, and have now been to 2, neither is willing to
consider upping my babe’s prevacid dose to anything close to
a reasonable amount.
again, sorry to bud in, but we’re getting pretty discouraged
here.
yana
June 21, 2007 at 10:16 pm #37549Anonymous
InactiveNo problem…I’ll pm you!
June 22, 2007 at 5:07 am #37558Anonymous
InactivePersonally, I would keep it where it is at a little longer. This did happen for Alana and I think it was really about 4-6 weeks until I finally woke up and realised that I hadn’t heard it in awhile. With Gaviscon, you can’t lie down for 1/2 an hour afterwards. I don’t think it would interact with the PPI, becasue it acts as a seal over the stomach contents, but I could be wrong! Goodlcuk whatever you decide and i hope you have a nice time away.
June 22, 2007 at 8:16 am #37561hellbennt
Keymasterdenise, please post the GI you like here
: Looking for GI: https://www.infantreflux.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=660
& Yana, please post who you were not content with

hellbennt2007-6-22 8:27:41
June 22, 2007 at 12:23 pm #37584Anonymous
InactiveWell, I gave her the Carafate, and she slept for 1 hour and 20 mins this morning!! That’s the longest morning nap she’s had in a very long time, if ever. SO, I think I’m going to keep the Prevacid where it is for now, and have my MIL give the Carafate 3x/day (as it says on the bottle). We’ll see how that goes and regroup after we get back from our long weekend.
June 22, 2007 at 2:45 pm #37613Anonymous
InactiveSounds like a good plan. Have a nice weekend!
June 27, 2007 at 9:17 pm #38159Anonymous
InactiveWe’re back from our weekend away, and it seems that Dagney’s reflux hasn’t improved at all. My MIL gave her the Carafate 3x/day, which helped her sleep better at naps, but today we tried going without and she had a short nap again. I’ve noticed that she’s doing the throat clearing & coughing again, and she has the acidic breath. (She’s also crying when I try to give her stage 3 foods and food bits, but I think it’s just because they’re new and she doesn’t like the texture). My questions is…what would you all do? She’s been on 15mg for 2 weeks now. She started at 30 (10mg 3x/day), and was on 22.5 (7.5 3x/day) for 1 week which seemed to be ok. Should I push her back up to 22.5 (7.5 3x/day) or just go to 20 mg (10 mg 3x/day)? I’ve left a message for the GI, but not sure what their response is going to be, so I’d appreciate any input!
Thanks again!
June 28, 2007 at 5:46 am #38181Anonymous
InactiveDenise, I think I would go back up to the 22.5 for awhile. Then next time you try a wean go slower and maybe do the 20mg. Just thinking if you do the 20 and it doesn’t help you will have another week or so of Dagney being out of sorts. Goodluck.
June 28, 2007 at 2:23 pm #38205Anonymous
InactiveThat’s what I would do too…put her back on the 22.5 mgs and if she improves keep her on that for a while. If she doesn’t improve you may have to go back up to 30 mgs.
I’m sorry that she’s not ready to wean from meds yet.
I’m sure you are very disappointed.June 28, 2007 at 5:13 pm #38215Anonymous
InactiveThanks, ladies. I am fairly disappointed, but I think the 22.5 should do it–it seemed to work for that week she was on it–so at least we were able to lower it a little! I brought her to the Pedi today for something else, and then the Pedi GI finally called back and both said also to put her to 22.5. The GI wants me to call back in 6 days, and she said once she’s stable again for 2 or so weeks, she’ll want us to try again, but a different way. I’m not sure what that is, but I’ll let you know once I do!
Thanks again, we’ll try again soon!
-
AuthorPosts
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
