Home › Forums › Infant Reflux Support › HELP!!! › 2.5 year old refusing to eat
- This topic has 90 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 18 years, 11 months ago by
Anonymous.
-
AuthorPosts
-
April 24, 2007 at 10:14 am #31306
Anonymous
InactiveJames is being admitted to hospital tonight for observation. They are keeping him in for a day or 2 to monitor how much James actually eats and also to monitor his development so they can decide where to go from here. James will also get to see the dietician whilst he is there to see if he needs to change from neocate advance to something with a higher calorie content.
April 24, 2007 at 11:45 am #31322Anonymous
InactiveGood luck. I’m sorry that he’s going to the hospital but hopeful that it will get you the help you need.
April 29, 2007 at 3:50 pm #31785Anonymous
InactiveJames came home on Thursday. James saw the dietician on the Wednesday and she apologised for not being able to see James earlier as an out patient. After a long conversation and giving her lots of information she has decided to keep in contact with us every other week and she will also be seeing him on 17th May. She is also thinking of refering James to the feeding clinic which is run by herself and a speech therapist. She has assured us that James is a priority and that she wants to keep a close eye on him. She has also said that she expects it to be a long process and that it will be at least 2 years before she expects James to be eating anywhere near normal. James’s consultant is seeing him on Wednesday and wants to then see James every 4 weeks until his weight improves. They don’t want to change his milk just yet but may have to in the near furure. Both the dietician and the consultant have decided that starving James is not the way to go to get him to eat and that it would probably only make things worse. I had never thought it was a good idea to be honest. That is roughly where we are at the moment. Unfortunately James seems to have a stomach bug at the moment and is only drinking small amounts of his milk which will obviously not help the situation.
April 29, 2007 at 8:03 pm #31791Anonymous
InactiveI’m glad to hear that they have a plan and are finally taking things seriously. I hope this is the answer for you and James. Feeding issues are SO frustrating and exhausting.
I can’t remember if he had any testing done, but if not, I would ask for that as well. If there’s something physiological that’s the root for the feeding issues, then it’s important to try and correct the cause.
Good luck.
April 30, 2007 at 10:07 am #31826Anonymous
InactiveYou have a plan! For us, at least knowing we are moving forward is huge. I am so glad they BELIEVE you and are taking you seriously.
May 2, 2007 at 8:25 am #32037Anonymous
InactiveJames was at the hospital today to be weighed. He was 12 kg when he was weighed in hospital on Thursday and now weighs 11.4 kg. The consultant said that unfortunately that is to be expected due to him being ill. James is still not drinking much neocate but is keeping all the apple juice and water down which means he is not dehydrating. The consultant is speaking to the dietician again as he wants her to give James something to boost the calories in the neocate advance as otherwise he needs to change James to something else which they are trying to avoid.
May 6, 2007 at 1:57 am #32353Anonymous
InactiveJames is back to drinking neoactae and eating raisins now. I never thought I would be so happy to see him having these 2 things and keeping them down its great. It does not make our situation seem as bad as it was not that I am going to give up fighting for my son and the treatment he deserves.
May 6, 2007 at 10:24 am #32363Anonymous
InactiveYes! Good for James! It is so hard to see our kids not eat. How can that be?!! I am so glad he is doing better. Let’s hope within a few months he will be adding more foods to his *likes* list. Good for you for fighting for James! Don’t tire -keep up the fight for James! Hurrah!
May 6, 2007 at 10:32 am #32364Anonymous
InactiveGlad to hear that he’s starting to feel better. Hang in there. I would recommend feeding therapy, if I haven’t already.
May 6, 2007 at 10:33 am #32365Anonymous
InactiveOh yes, also an endoscopy to rule out EE.
May 10, 2007 at 12:30 pm #32809Anonymous
InactiveJames was weighed yesterday and is now 12.68kg. I had them weigh him twice as I could not believe he had gone from 11.4kg to 12.68kg in one week. I even waited for the next mum to have her baby weighed to make sure the scales were not playing up. I know the scales at the hospital were right as they weighed him on 2 sets to make sure as he had lost so much weight in less than a week.May 10, 2007 at 2:32 pm #32813Anonymous
Inactive


I hope the trend continues!
May 10, 2007 at 2:34 pm #32815Anonymous
InactiveGreat news! I know sometimes Carson’s weight goes up and then down. He lost 2 weeks ago – not much but when you are loosing instead of gaining – it makes a huge difference on the growth chart! We go in this Friday (tomorrow) to get weighed again. Is James on Neocate or do you give him a rice drink? I am thinking he is MSPI in addition to other foods also. Maybe he and Carson are long lost brothers!
May 10, 2007 at 3:17 pm #32833Anonymous
InactiveJames is on neocate advance as when we tried soy formula he became constipated to the point that his poo was like chalk. James also did not tolerate several emollients that we tried for his eczema early on that were soy based. Maybe they are long lost brothers.
May 17, 2007 at 4:29 pm #33562Anonymous
InactiveJames was weighed on Wednesday and had gone from 12.68kg to 12.56kg. I am not too worried about this as he had such a good gain the week before. As long as he does not keep loosing weight each week again then he will be doing well.
-
AuthorPosts
- The forum ‘HELP!!!’ is closed to new topics and replies.
